Tuesday, May 4, 2021

 So, I was talking about the second comic book I wrote Imani the Killer, I killed Hip Hop. I wrote this in 2007 fresh off promoting Gold Digger Killer and my first visit to Comic Con. I was still frustrated with the state of Hip Hop and eager to express my thoughts through comic books. In this issue, I killed pimps and European enslavers. My comics were not always embraced by the existing Black comic cons. So, I started writing Horror comics. Like they were less violent or something. I think what happened was Horror comics found an audience with horror fans but, still not black comic fans. I think for a while the Black comics community had a very narrow view of the type of stories that could be told in comics. Now, things have changed and with social media and crowdfunding platforms, my comics have found a path directly to an audience. Even at the conventions, people are buying these comics. People have asked when am I going to write more Imani the Killers? It has inspired me. I didn't know that I had drank the juice of what the narrow Black comic community had said to me ten years ago. I think times have changed. I think Black comic people now see there are more than kid comics and Black superheroes.
This is my original comic pitch. I just read it again and it still sounds cool.

Background

This is a story which is based on the Hip Hop Horror movie GOLDDIGGER KILLER.  The story centers around the incarceration of the lead character Imani AKA The GOLDDIGGER KILLER.  In the movie Imani preyed on men who she felt were disrespectful to women.  With an anger fueled by disturbing images of being raped and comments from her Gold digging friends only agitated her more.  She lured these men with her hot looks and killed them.  Her killing spree comes to an end after being caught by an undercover detective. 

 

The Comic Book story

After being sentenced to death by electrocution she has time to reflect on her actions and the emotions which caused them.  In the story we find that she killed a lot more men than the 12 she got convicted of.  In a boastful narration she shares stories of her rampage and fantasizes about killing other men.  Her limitless imagination allows her to venture off to far away lands in times past and possible futures to eliminate misogamy.  She dreams of killing men like Dracula and men from other planets.  Whether her imagination is triggered by an experience in jail or from a letter from a fellow poet it results into a blood gushing story.  This comic will take readers on a ride with a girl who creates an alternative reality where she goes from being an angry woman to a hero with a vengeance.

 

Why a Comic Book

The GOLDDIGGER KILLER story is a story that can work on many levels.  It worked as a Hip Hop Horror because it had a strong drama base, action and bloody killings.  It will also, work as a comic book because it the primary motives of the lead character allow her to explore an exaggerated reality which works excellent with comic books.  With the comic book stories the drama can be played down and the action and blood can be beefed up.  GOLDDIGGER KILLER is getting a lot of attention because it is a Hip Hop Horror.  Hip Hop Horror is a new hybrid film genre.  Telling the GOLDDIGGER KILLER story thru the comic book form would be even more unique.  Hip Hop has a growing number of comic books one of the most popular was Static Shock which was also made into a cartoon TV show.  A comic book based on a film as accepted as GOLDDIGGER KILLER is perfect for reaching the Hip Hop market.

No comments: