Saturday, February 6, 2016

Top Movies of 2015

This was another very good year for movies.  There are more and more Sci-fi movies every year.  I have no problem with that but I do miss good Eddie Murphy comedies and fun horror movies like Freddie vs Jason.  This was also the year that three black cast movie held the number one spot for six weeks.  Started with Straight outta Compton followed by The War Room and closed out by The Perfect Guy. 
 So without further adieu I present my family and my list of top ten movies for the year 2015.

My top ten.
  1.           Mad Max fury Road. This was not really a remake or a reboot it was a reboot sequel.  Excellent.  I was a fun ride and tried to be nothing much more than that.  Simple story and lots of action.  I love the trucks and chase scenes they were like supersized B movies.
  2.           Creed.  This was a spin off from the Rocky movies.  It was a tear jerker.  I just watched the first 4 Rocky movies before I went to see Creed and it was a beautiful story.  My only complaint was that Michael B Jordan’s character was by product of infidelity.  Apollo Creed was the man and they spit on his legacy.  Still I like MBJ so here it is.
  3.          Jurassic Park.  This was an excitingly amazing film.  I have it on DVD and have watched a few times already.  Same story as the first but with all the fun upgrades.  New Dinos and bigger park.
  4.          Straight outta Compton.  Oh yeah its on.  While I didn’t like the group Ice Cude became one of my favorite rap artists.  I looked at this movie as Ice Cube’s origin story.  It was fun and a well written story.  Much better than Notorious.  Better than Krush Groove and Wild Style and I have no problem with that.  Hip Hop is more respected now so the stories about it should be better.
  5.          AntMan.  This movie followed in the path of 2014’s Guardian’s of the Galaxy including comedy in a simple sci-fi story.  I look forward to seeing more of Antman.
  6.           Star Wars The Force Awakens. While this was a highly scrutinized movie I enjoyed it.  I’m also a Star Wars fan.  So despite it being billed as a continuation and really being more of a remake of Star Wars it was a fun ride.  Plagiarism accusations aside I was just happy to see another story in the space universe I love so much.   Oh and Finn was a punk.
  7.     .     Avengers: Age of Ultron.  This could have been my number one movie.  I watched this story in every medium, comic book and cartoon.  What I liked about this was Ultron.  He was so cocky I enjoyed watch him get beat.
  8.           Chappie.  This may not make other people’s list but I liked Chappie because I liked Chappie.  Different from other forms of AI ExMachina and Ultron Chappie was a friend and a hero.
  9.     .     The Kingsmen. The Kingsmen had a comedic appeal.  I loved the plot. It was very much like a story I had finished writing the year before.  Thank God.  Anyway, The Kingsmen was more fun than The Wanted or other secret agent training academy stories.  I also loved the English setting.
  10. .  .     Focus.  Will Smith is my sci-fi movie savior and this movie is no sci-fi story however Will is a good actor and charismatic guy.  Focus allows him to showcase that skill.  Unfortunately like Lebron James and basketball Will Smith can only do but so much.  He needs a good sci-fi story with special effects and other things to make my number one movie.

My wife’s top ten.

1.       Mad Max Fury Road.
2.       The Kingsmen.
3.       Avengers: Age of Ultron
4.       Creed.
5.       Mission Impossible Rogue Nation
6.       Maze Runner, Scorched Trials
7.       Krumpus.
8.       Straight Outta Compton.
9.       Dope.
10.   The Hateful 8.


My son’s top ten.

1.       Maze Runner, Scorched Trails.
2.       Krumpus.
3.       Kingsmen.
4.       Antman.
5.       Mad Max Fury Road.
6.       Star Wars The Force Awakens.
7.       Avengers: Age of Ultron.
8.       Creed.
9.       Hitman 47.
10.   Mission Impossible Rogue Nation.

No comments: